Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Day with Tim

Yesterday I took not one but TWO fantastic classes with Tim Holtz! Here's a bunch of snaps and stories!
Here he is teaching us in a class called  Heart and Soul which I took in the morning. He really is a fantastic teacher, using this screen and his computer, breaking all the steps down, having everything prepped and not requiring you to bring any tools at all. FUN. No FUN!!!!!!!!!!
Here's my project not quite finished but almost-
And finished

I must mention I was down in Massachusetts at my favorite local craft store Absolutely Everything. I've taken classes there with Tim before-at least twice, and I was thinking yesterday about the first time I took classes with him, maybe 6 or 7 years ago and how different they were then when he wasn't quite the rock star he is today.
I learned tons about faux metal distressing.  LOVE it.
And though this is terrible snap of me...
Here we are- me, my friend Ina who came up from North Carolina for a couple of classes, and of course, the master of the ceremony, Tim.
In the afternoon we did a grungeboard quilting class called
Patchwork Pandemonium.
I loved all the techniques we learned here!

I am still not finished embellishing this quilt, but I was fried by this time. The first class was from 9-12- and since it is a little over an hour away I was up by 6 and on the road by 7:30 a.m. This patchwork class started at 2:30 and went until 7:30. After awhile there is no more creative juice left. Driving home after that seemed to take 4 hours instead of a little over 1 hour I was so wiped out. I got home just around 9 p.m.
Long was a wonderfully exhausting day!!!!!!
I wish I thought to photograph my hands which were covered in ink, stain, paint, etc. Even today they are still off colored, but not as bad as last night.
Not that I care!!!!!!!
It was great to see my friend Ina yesterday too. 
Not that I am loving me, here on the right in this snap shot. But at least I don't look 200 pounds with my chin pushed down and in like in the other photo.
Anyhow, it was a great day and now I am inspired to go play.
Amazing how classes can get you to a new place even when you didn't feel stuck in a rut.
I really must remember to take more of them.
Anyhow, hope your Saturday was even half as good as mine, because if it was half as good it would be great!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!





1 comment:

penny4thoughts said...

Hi Erika!
I agree it was a FUN weekend. Based on your picture looking down the table, I was in the row of tables over to your right along the shopping wall and I was probably very close to you! You were much braver than I was to get a cool picture with Tim. My steampunk heart just kind of fit better on its side and I don't think I was the one he mentioned. Your pieces look terrific! Happy creating :-)