Wednesday, May 18, 2016

On The Water

Hi everyone. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have another journal page for you today. Since I am hostessing this month on Art Journal Journey I am trying to have all my posts related to the theme, journeys. Today I have a sailing page for you.
I started with a Gelli print, painting most of the images. The anchor and octopus (I had to add a sea monster) were stamped but then I inked and painted them also. I stamped all the little fish, and used some stickers for the words.
And this is the second time in a row I've posted a page that also works for the new challenge at Moo Mania without knowing what the new theme was going to be. The theme for the next 2 weeks is water.
And I've done a little more baking.
So last Sunday I tried my hand at making a dump cake. This is a fairly new type of cake to me, although some ( or maybe many) of you may be familiar with them. I'd read about these on the internet, and I was curious.
A dump cake is basically a very quick cake where you dump all of the ingredients together and then bake. I'm not sure about all dump cakes, but this pineapple upside one used a box of cake mix, a box of instant pudding, a can of pineapple, some butter, a little milk and some brown sugar. Oh yes and maraschino cherries. After doing all kinds of by scratch baking, cake mixes always seem a little "lacking" to me. So I wasn't really sure what to expect.
Not too bad. Maybe not quite as good as a from scratch, but it was really fast and if you were short on time and needed dessert for something, I would make it again.
Not  much else exciting going on in my world right now. Another work week rolling along, and at least its warmed back up and it feels like spring again. And its Wednesday already.
Thanks for stopping by and visiting.

11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's what we call pineapple upside-down cake, and it is one of my faves, how mean to lead me into temptation again....The journal page is lovely, we really are riding the same wave just now! Thanks for joining us at AJJ and MM&M, great! Hugs, Valerie

Rosie said...

A wonderful journal page und I think the cake is very yammi.

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

froebelsternchen said...

I love your page.. amazing shading on the boat Erika and so much depth! This cake looks really yummie! Never heard about such a cake - I will search on the net for it - but I shouldn't because it is making me fat for sure..finally managed to lose 2 kilos again and am so happy.
Thank you for another fantastic hostess entry to the journeys theme and super that it fits Moo Mania & More's new theme as well!

SUPER!

oxo Susi

froebelsternchen said...

Me again Erika --- read your question on my blog after commenting here:
We ordered the kitchen today...yeah.... it takes 8 weeks for delivery- that's usually always the time to wait here.
I am happy .. it wasn't easy to decide which one and what I want...uff.

Little Artbee said...

Lovely,funny page dear Erika. I like all the little fishes and the funny green octopus, also the nice background texture.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Meggymay said...

We call this kind of cake the same as Valerie does, here as well, it looks delicious. Your page looks awesome with the yacht bobbing on the waves.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have a great way with a gelli print. I am always amazed and am now more sure than ever that I stop too soon when I create monoprints like that. Your journey today was fun to see and the octopus added the touch of whimsy I find so good in your art.

I've never made a dump cake, but I've made LOTS of pineapple upside down cakes. They are fantastic. Hope you saved me a piece.

You asked how long it took to think of all the sayings. I had lots of sayings and proverbs I found on the internet. HOWEVER, the big problem was finding ways to illustrate specific sayings. I had to pick ones I knew I could make art for, so that's how I narrowed everything down. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

Well you are certainly itching to get out on the water, no octopus though, okay. I don't want to read about you and a giant squid! Classic pineapple upside down, what a dessert from the 50's. xox

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't do "scratch" baking, but this pineapple upside down cake looks great just like it is. These posts are improving my appetite nicely, thanks! :)

~*~Patty S said...

We used to always make that cake in a cast iron skillet in the oven...yours looks scrumptious!
Fun sailing page says me who's not much of a sailor ... motion sickness takes a good bit of the fun out of it for me.
oxo

Michele said...

your journal page is lovely -- you can really feel the movement of the water. i am a big fan of dump cakes, they are my favorites! your cake is beautiful. xo