Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Welcome To Eastport, Maine

Hi everyone. Yesterday I took you to the Moose Island Bakery in Eastport, Maine.
My family and I visited Eastport for an extended weekend back in June. Eastport is the most eastern city in the US. It was also the second busiest port for part of 1800's (behind New York City) in the US. Because it is the most easterly city and also near just across the bay from Canada, it is a great port from ships coming in from the UK and northern Europe to deliver their goods as it was a shorter trip than heading south to Boston, NYC or other ports. And because Maine had (and still does) an abundant amount of big and tall trees, it also made a great port for sending lumber back across the Atlantic.
Eastport later on became the sardine capitol of the world, canning and shipping sardines all over.
Today it is neither one of the busiest ports and no longer is a sardine capital. Its still a relatively busy port  but mostly now for lobstermen, Coast Guard ships, cruise ships and fishing vessels. There are boat building industries and other shipping industries.
But enough about that. How about a few photos.
A statue built for a FOX tv show which is now a symbol of town. Can you find it in the view of the view below?
 A view along the water's edge. See the mermaid, she is another statue in town.
 Kind of a feisty and sex lady of the sea.






It was foggy, wet and raw when wee visited in the morning.
But by the evening when we decided to go back to dinner  the sunset was  beautiful.


And a few other random snapshots I took while we walked around.

 Years of signs nailed into the telephone post made it really cool.

 Some cool textures.



And I created a page in my drawing journal about my day visiting.
 I used some tourist magazine cutouts as well as drawing. And I purchased the big fisherman sticker.
Thanks for joining me while I relived some of my day in Eastport, Maine.

11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a wonderful trip you had. Lovely to see the sea, I do miss being near enough to see the waves occasionally. It's a really beautiful little town, love the fun statues, and all the textures you photographed. And the telegraph pole reminds me of art by Günter Uecker. You made a lovely journal page, too. Glad you were able to have such a cool trip, you all deserve it after all you have been through in the past months. Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE that pole with the nails and staples. If I knew digital art, I'd use that for a fabulous background. It's wonderful. And all that rust made my heart beat a bit faster. Love these photos. I also like your journal page with the sardines and awesome statue. Thanks for taking us there.

CJ Kennedy said...

I really enjoyed your pictures. So much beauty if you really take the time to look. The statues are pretty cool. What show was the fisherman in? And the mermaid had to be sultry in order to lure poor sailors to their death. My favorite picture is the pirate doll with the two floozies in the window. The bars on the window makes it look like they are in jail. Must have been a wild night. Enjoy the sunshine, today.

sheila 77 said...

Great trip, Erika, love the photos of water and the rust.
Super July header too, I do like the way your header changes every month.

Divers and Sundry said...

You got some great color in your photos! I love the dusky pink in the sky across the water. It looks like a fascinating place to visit.

froebelsternchen said...

Amazing photos ! Thank you for sharing dear Erika! I love your photos so much always!
Fun page !!!
oxo Susi
♥♥♥

Meggymay said...

Great photos again Erika, I liked seeing the statues, the mermaid was a real beauty. It was good to read about the history of the town as well.
Your journal page looked fantastic, so many details and memories to look at in future.
Yvonne xx

Sandy said...

As always I love your pages in your drawing journal. I certainly have enjoyed your pictures. I really want to go to Maine!!
Sandy xx

Anonymous said...

Now that was a long drive...Never been. Love the shots of rust and decay. xox

Gibby Frogett said...

Great photos - that was an interesting trip. I always love seeing the sea or lovely scenery but today the nails, and the bad antique sign and the photos with the rust and textures really caught my eye.
Love how you scrapped the trip and that wonderful fisherman sticker.
Gill xx

Jeanie said...

It looks like a wonderful spot to visit. I really like the look of the town (and that fence with the buoys/lobster things on it.) Sounds like a great holiday for you. Lobster? I hope so!